- Race Name: Redmond’s Great Day of Play 5K
- When: Friday, August 23, 2013 | Where: Redmond, WA
- Gametiime Listing: http://gametiime.com/events/great-day-of-play-5k-2013
- Prize Drawing: The City of Redmond is giving three free entries for the Great Day of Play 5K to the Gametiime community. Click here and win!
There’s a great family-friendly 5K coming up! The third annual Great Day of Play 5K is just a couple week away and — with chipped timing, tech shirts and finisher medals, overall and age group awards, and a post-race root beer garden and live music — it’s a super fun race for beginners, seasoned runners, and the whole family. Plus, what beats a Friday evening summer race in the Pacific Northwest!
We got a chance to chat with the race director, Sarah Sandquist. Check out our interview with her below to learn more about this fun-filled race!
Tell us about Redmond’s Great Day of Play 5K. What, when, and where is it? Redmond’s Great Day of Play 5K is a family-friendly Friday evening run/walk on the Eastside, August 23 at 6pm. This is our 3rd year for the race and it’s run in conjunction with our Great Day of Play event, which also features a youth 3-on-3 basketball tournament. As the title suggests, the race is in Redmond, starting and finishing at Redmond City Hall.
What to can participants expect to see and do? Participants can expect a flat, fast chip timed race with lots of race swag, live music and root beer garden, and finisher medals.
What do you consider to be the best part about the Great Day of Play 5K?
The best part of this race is that it is accessible to everyone. Our races bring a range of participants. We see a lot of first time participants and lots of families, as well as some local elite athletes! It’s a run/walk and jogging strollers and dogs are allowed. In addition to a great race, we are also supporting an awesome cause. A portion of each registration will be donated to Feet First, an organization that works to ensure all communities across Washington are walkable.
How many participants do you expect for the race? We expect around 400 participants.
How long has the Great Day of Play 5K been around? This is our third year.
Does the Great Day of Play 5K benefit any charitable organizations? If so, which ones? Yes, the race benefits Feet First and City of Redmond Parks and Recreation programs. Here’s an excerpt from the Feet First website about their 501(c)3 organization:
We work to ensure all communities across Washington are walkable. We help people take steps that create better places to live, learn, shop work and play—a world that cares about health, community and design.
Do you organize other events as well? If so, which ones? Yes! We hope to see you at our other two unique races!
- Redmond Poultry Predictor (November 16, 2013 ): Predict your finish time at registration for this 4-mile race and then see how close you can get to it without the help of any timing devices! The 5 closest times win a turkey.
- Scrambled Egg 5K (Spring 2014): Empty eggs are scattered all over the course and each color is a time addition or deduction, but it’s a secret! Run straight through or try for your “best” time by picking up eggs.
Anything else you’d like to share with the Gametiime community?
Online registration closes 8/20! See you on the 23rd!
And, don’t forget! The City of Redmond has so graciously offered three free entries for the Great Day of Play 5K to the Gametiime community, so make sure to enter the drawing to win. It’s easy and you have a great chance of winning!
Like this post but don’t have a Gametiime account? Check out our site and discover the best place to find your next race!